The annual Taste of Iceland event is here March 12th through the 16th. This year there is a great dinner menu at Tavern Road , a community discussion between specialists in Reykjavik and Boston on future Innovations in energy and transportation, the Reykjavik calling concert, and an Icelandic film festival at Kendall Square Cinemas. You can make reservations, and learn about the entire event here.
Now let’s focus on the music. Reykjavik calling, an annual concert is once again at the Middle East Club in Cambridge March 14th, doors open at 8.
Iceland Naturally traditionally grabs a couple bands from Iceland, and a couple bands from the local scene, then tosses them together to collaborate and put on a show. These tend to be unique shows as the musicians really make it feel like a party. It’s a chance to discover new artists or new things about the artists you already like. Best of all, it’s free.
It’s recommended that you RSVP for the event via Eventbrite, but getting in is first come first serve. This event gets crowded, so from past experience I suggest you show up early as the lines build quickly and I’ve seen them wrap around the Middle East more often than not.
Kaleo began in 2012, and saw their S/T album hit number 1 in 2013. A pleasant blend of Bon Iver and Black keys.
Beebee and the Bluebirds is a jazzy rock band fronted by Brynhildur Oddsdóttir. She’s got one of those great soulful voices, and naturally entertains crowds.
Love in Stockholm is good old rock from Allston. Blending classic with modern, they have a local reputation for great live gigs, and have built a great following around the New England area.
George Knight and Pablo Palooza are rock/soul/funk locals. George, a DJ at WERS during the day, musician all the time perfectly compliments the Pablo Palooza players bringing a lot of energy wherever they play.
I asked a slightly altered version of my nonsensical questions. Beebee & the Bluebirds (BBB) Love in Stockholm (LiS) and Pablo Palooza (PaB) were kind enough to answer.
1. If you combine all of your favorite colors, what do you get?
- (BBB) Black striped violet red….
- (LiS) ROY G. BIV
- (PaB) Black
2. What are 3 of your favorite little known bands of Iceland/Boston origin?
- (BBB) –Dusty Miller –Erla Stefáns and the sinister trio –Smári Tarfur
- (LiS) Biscuits & Gravy, Sarah Blacker, and Turkuaz
- (PaB) Booty Vortex, The Chicken Slacks, and The Nephrok! Allstars
3. If you could be any creature playing your favorite song, what would the creature be? And what is the song?
- (BBB) I would be a black panther singing “Think”
- (LiS) A minotaur playing “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down”
- (PaB) I would be an Eagle playing “I Am” by Earth Wind and Fire
Taste of Iceland is always a fantastic time, make sure to check some of it out. Check out more info on all the bands below, and we’ll see you there.